Friday, April 22, 2011

Who - whose dyed their eggs? - onion skin egg dying



Ever dye eggs with onion skins? Not only is it Eco-friendly, and creates the most gorgeous shade of red, its just so science experiment cool.


After they are colored - I etch them with an old scratch board tool. These three were done - 18 years or so ago! - left uncracked the insides dry out and it sounds like a marble is inside.




Owl and the Pussycat, a maiden on horseback stopping a dragon, and a chicken wearing a ribbon that says " which came first" : )





Yesterday I dyed a new batch and hope to etch them tomorrow. Here's how I do it - I'm sure you could google it AND Ive heard red cabbages makes a beautiful blue - got to try that!!







All it takes is:





1/4 cup vinegar,
1 quart h2o


and the skins of about 15 yellow onions (yes yellow!! makes red)

Put all three in a pot and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 min.
After that, strain the skins - some people let the dye cool, but I am way too impatient for that ! So in go the eggs and bring to boil again.


Then shut off the heat and let them sit - the longer they sit, the deeper the red.

Easy Peasy. but be careful not to spill on anything that will stain!!



I'll let you know how the cabbage goes...


















5 comments:

Sweet Enemy said...

Oh, these are fantastic! I've been meaning to try the onion-skin method for years, but didn't know you could scratch into it as well. Hmmm.... Much more my style of approach. Thank you!

Jeanette said...

These are beautiful. I love the owl and pussycat particularly. They have a lovely antique feel to them. I still have a few goose eggs left, perhaps I should try something with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Stephanie Berry said...

Just gorgeous! Beautiful work!

Linda Popple said...

Just gorgeous and I like that they last!

Partycraft Secrets said...

Love it - I made some last year, but not as pretty as yours - I'm going to link to this post on Facebook; hope that's ok.
Linda

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Partycraft-Secrets/239045209469228